I really can’t wait to read HUNGER by Jackie Kessler! Haven’t heard of it?! Check it out here:
“Thou art the Black Rider. Go thee out unto the world.”
Lisabeth Lewis has a black steed, a set of scales, and a new job: she’s been appointed Famine. How will an anorexic seventeen-year-old girl from the suburbs fare as one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse?
Traveling the world on her steed gives Lisa freedom from her troubles at home: her constant battle with hunger, and her struggle to hide it from the people who care about her. But being Famine forces her to go places where hunger is a painful part of everyday life, and to face the horrifying effects of her phenomenal power. Can Lisa find a way to harness that power — and the courage to battle her own inner demons?
— Taken from Goodreads
Awesome, right? Now, let’s go to the interview!
1. Many of your other books are adult. Did something happen to make you suddenly switch over to YA or did inspiration just hit and the heroine happened to be a teenager?
Got it in one! HUNGER just happened to have a teenage protagonist. I didn’t set out to write YA; that’s just how the story unfolded.
2. In Hunger, Lisa finds out she’s Famine in the Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Will we get to read/learn about the other horsemen?
Absolutely. But not everything will be in HUNGER. J
3. If you could dress up as anything you wanted for Halloween, what would it be?
Wilykit from Thundercats. No, wait – Dark Willow!
4. Oh no! You’re at a Hallows Eve Party and at 12am you actually become what you were dressed up as! Who/what would you be dressed up as?
Zoe from Firefly. (Not from Serenity!!!)
5. What’s next in your writing career?
Right now, I’m all about the Riders’ Quartet: RAGE, the second book, will come out in spring 2011, and I’m currently writing LOSS, the third book. (interview conducted in 2011)